Friday, January 21, 2011

Day #6: Snow + Classes sounds like Steubenville!

The view outside my bedroom window
First day of "B" classes started yesterday (Tuesday, Thursday classes). Today is our first day of "A" classes (usually Mondays and Wednesdays). Christian Marriage looks like a good class, but lots of reading (90 pages of Love and Responsibility). I have my first philosophy class: Foundations of Ethics with Prof. Javier Carreno. He seems like a good professor but very challenging. That one's going to be my hardest, I think. Art Appreciation was this morning. I'm enjoying that one immensely! Today we went over some of the artwork we could see tomorrow in Vienna at the museum. It was a lot of Renaissance art, but some modern stuff, too. I recognized a lot of them from the art memory game we have back at home. Hurrah for good cultural home school education! :-D This afternoon I will have Survey of Physical Science and German 101. Physics is only going to be an hour long, I think, so I'm very happy for that. An hour and a half of class is a lot of note-taking.
We had the opening Mass of the semester yesterday with the bishop! I played the opening hymn for the Mass, Come Holy Ghost, on the organ in the Maria Thron. I also had to teach the congregation before Mass how to sing the Heilig (the German Sanctus). That was a little nerve wracking, but I pulled it off! I'm so glad we had to sing German last semester, it's so good for pronunciation purposes.
Annie and I went to go practice at the church in Gaming yesterday but there was a funeral going on so we had a change in plans. It was interesting to see the funeral though from a distance when they came out of the church. It appeared that some VIP had died, as there was a small brass band waiting outside, which played soon after the priest and the coffin and the congregation moved outside. They were dressed in feathered hats and dark green coats. It was unlike anything I have ever seen in America, and it made me think of Bach's father, who was a town musician (among other things) and who would have played with his music group for funerals and weddings and such. BUT Annie and I visited the flower shop instead, which was lovely. They had orange roses with petals with pointed tips! I also went on my first trip to the Spar (a Gaming grocery store), got my first Melka, and my first Mozart chocolate (but it has Marzipan in it, so I don't know if I'll like it, but I don't care it's Mozart).
Well, tomorrow is Vienna, and I must find where Brahms and Beethoven are buried and directions to the cemetery, plus get a good chunk of reading done before we depart tomorrow morning, so I must go. A trip to Venice the first weekend in February may be in the works as well! *fingers crossed*

No comments:

Post a Comment