Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day #93: Holy Triduum in Gaming, Holy Thursday

The Holy Triduum began this morning with Tenebrae, a Catholic liturgical prayer service consisting of psalms, canticles, and the Lamentations of Jeremiah, all of which focus on the suffering Christ. It is meant to be sung on Holy Thursday morning. Back on main campus the Schola Cantorum Franciscana sings Tenebrae on Wednesday night because we have class on Holy Thursday morning. It's a beautiful way to begin the Triduum. We chanted it in the Sacred Heart Chapel and Colin was the server, snuffing out the candles on the candelabra as we sang each psalm or canticle. 
I was able to practice in the chapel this morning! I'm learning the manuals parts for Kommst Du Nun, Jesu, BWV 650 by J.S. Bach. It's one of my favorite Bach chorale preludes. One of my fellow organ students played it at our recital last fall. Hopefully it won't be terribly difficult to add in the pedal parts once I return to the States.
I'm leading the music for the liturgies of Holy Thursday and Good Friday here on campus, so prayers would be much appreciated, especially that everything goes smoothly! We are singing a beautiful Byzantine chant set to polyphony for the Washing of the Feet - I found it on musicasacra.com (Can I just say that they are a fantastic resource for all church musicians? So much beautiful music!) The setting is sublime, and the text is so moving:

"The wisdom of God that restrains the untamed fury of the waters that are above the firmament, that sets a bridle on the deep and keeps back the seas, now pours water into a basin and washes the feet of his disciples. The Master shows to his disciples an example of humility. He wraps the heavens in the clouds girds himself with a towel. And he in whose hands is the life of all things kneels down to wash the feet of his servants." 

You can't get much better than Byzantine liturgy, let me tell you! I wish you all a blessed Triduum. May you unite yourself ever more fully to Christ in His suffering, His Passion, Death, and Resurrection. I leave you with the chant of the Divine Reproaches, meant to be sung in the liturgy of Good Friday for the Roman Rite. Sadly, most Catholics won't hear this tomorrow at the liturgy, but you can at least listen to it here and allow it elevate you to contemplation of the sacred mysteries. The chant is in both Latin and Greek, so I will enclose the translation of the text below.

THE DIVINE REPROACHES

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you answer me!

I led you out of Egypt from slavery to freedom, but you have led your Savior, and nailed Him to a cross.

Agios o Theos, Agios ischyros,
Agios athanatos eleison imas.
Holy is God, Holy and Strong,
Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us.

For forty years in safety, I led you through the desert, I fed you with my manna, I gave you your own land, but you have led your Savior, and nailed Him to a Cross.

O what more would you ask from me? I planted you, my vineyard, but sour grapes you gave me, and vinegar to drink, and you have pierced your Savior and pierced Him with a spear.

For you scourged your captors, their first born sons were taken, but you have
taken scourges and brought them down on Me.

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you? Answer me!

From slavery to freedom I led you, drowned your captors. But I am taken captive and handed to your priests.

Your path lay through the waters, I opened them before you, my side you have laid open and bared it with a spear.

I led you, held securely, My fire and cloud before you, but you have led your
Savior, hands bound to Pilate's court.

I bore you up with manna, you bore me down and scourged me. I gave you saving
water, but you gave me soured wine.

The kings who reigned in Canaan, I struck way before you. But you have struck my
crowned head, and struck it with a reed.

I gave you a royal scepter but you gave me a thorn crown. I raised you up in
power, but you raised me on the Cross.

Agios o Theos, Agios ischyros,
Agios athanatos eleison imas.
Holy is God, Holy and Strong,
Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us.

1 comment:

  1. Best. Painting. Ever. You should go see it while you are so close to it!

    ReplyDelete